Thursday, June 23, 2011

June 13















Day 8





What did we do today?





Today was our EXCURSION DAY!!! We were planning on going whale watching today… but the weather was too bad and we couldn’t go. Some of my friends had taken Dramamine before they heard the news, so they weren’t feeling very good today. I luckily escaped that one! In the morning we went to a big market. Our group wanted to go upstairs to the mall. We spent all of our time there and didn’t really get to look around. I guess the market was underground… we didn’t get to go. L We went and got some lunch at an Italian restaurant… we got some pretty good pizza. Then we went to the Bridge Climb!! We got all harnessed up and had everything hooked onto our jumpers… even my glasses… We did a test run on a small rig and then headed up for the real thing! I loved the bridge climb. It was magnificent. Sydney is beautiful!! The climb was life changing… It showed me one of the wonderful examples of how incredible our world truly is. After we touched ground we went back to the harbor area and watched the light show on the Sydney Opera House. That night, I went out with Ms. T and Mr. Barry’s group and we went to a restaurant where I ate a pineapple burger. Then we headed back to the hotel.





Prompt: What does it take to travel on your own? Do you think you are ready?





Journal:





I love traveling- I caught the bug last year in China, and this year has been incredible! I would love to travel throughout my life. There is not a single country I don’t want to see. There are wonders everywhere you go, you just have to be willing to look. Traveling on your own can be a scary thing. It’s you and that’s it. You can’t rely on anyone for help in a tough situation. You not only have to know how to have fun, but you also have to know how to be safe. Safety and health are obviously a first concern. You have to know how to take care of yourself. The best way to figure out if you can handle it is to try it. Honestly, I’ve never traveled alone in my life, so I don’t know how I would react to being on my own. I would like to think I would be good at it, but truthfully, I really don’t know. Can I find my way? Will I know what to see? Can I set a rigid schedule for myself? Can I be spontaneous and adventurous while being safe and conscious? It’s a constant balancing act. You also need to know how to be adventurous. Being spontaneous is important while traveling, but it becomes difficult when safety is an issue. This is true not only when you’re traveling by yourself, but with a group that is too large as well. I feel like that’s how it has been on this trip. Don’t get me wrong- I’ve loved this trip and have enjoyed myself in everything we’ve done, but sometimes I feel like our excursion group is too big to do everything everyone wants to do. We can’t go off and explore because our group is too big to be safe in crowded public places. We’re a target when we’re huge. We’d also be a target if we were on our own though. There’s safety and dangers in numbers. But anyway… You also have to be charismatic while traveling. When you’re by yourself, you need to talk to others and become fully emerged in the culture. This is something a shy person like is continuing to get better at. It makes the trip more memorable when you connect with the people there. In the end, you just have to go with it! Have fun! Look where you are!





I don’t know if I’m ready to travel by myself. I mean, I definitely WANT to! I don’t think anyone knows what it takes to travel on your own until they’re put in the situation. No one’s ready until they’ve tried. Time to pack your bags, close your eyes, and point to where you’re goin’ next!

No comments:

Post a Comment